3 carrots peeled and grated
3 cooked, peeled and grated beetroot
Red cabbage shredded finely (approx 1/2 small red cabbage)
1 grated or finely sliced red onion
A good dollop of mayonnaise
Squeeze of lemon juice and half of the rind(optional).
Salt and pepper
Mix all of the above ingredients together to make a delicious and nutritious coleslaw, which turns out a lovely pink colour to impress the guests at the BBQ!! This recipe is moreish so make plenty!
15ml (1tbsp) rapeseed oil
1 -2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
100gm (3oz) red lentils
500 (1lb 2oz) organic carrots, peeled and chunked
1.2 litre (2 pints) vegetable stock or chicken stock
16 very thin slices wholemeal French stick
Butter for spreading
1. Heat the oil in large heavy-based pan, add the garlic and onion, soften. Add the lentils and carrots, cook for a few minutes, stirring.
2. Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until carrots are soft and lentils cooked.
3. Blend until smooth. Season to taste and thin with water if necessary.
4. Spread the slices of bread with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and toast until crispy.
5. Serve the soup topped with the sesame toasts, a spoonful of natural yogurt and chopped chives.
‘these savoury snacks are great served with plain yogurt and chutney!’
75g Gram Flour
2tsp cumin seeds
1tsp ground coriander
½ tsp salt
½ tsp mixed spice
100g grated onion
50g grated carrot
5 tbsp oil
1. Mix together the gram flour, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and mixed spice. Stir in the water and beat to a smooth batter.
3. Add grated onion and carrots and mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and gently drop in spoonfuls of the mixture.
5. Cook bhajias until golden brown on all sides then remove and drain on a paper napkin before serving.
2lbs carrots peeled and chopped
½ medium turnip peeled and chopped
1 onion sliced
2 rashers bacon chopped
2 ozs butter
3 pints chicken stock(2 cubes)
½ pint milk
Juice and rind of ½ orange
½-1tsp coriander powder
Fresh coriander leaves (optional)
Saute vegs and bacon in butter 5 mins until soft. Add stock & bayleaves, juice and rind of orange. Simmer for 1 hour. Remove bayleaves. Puree. Add milk and garnish with fresh coriander.
1 Carrot peeled and finely shaved in lengths.
1 red chilli finely chopped(deseeded)
1 chunk of peeled and sliced ginger (large enough to retrieve and remove before serving the soup)
2-3 pints of chicken stock
1 chicken breast or left over pork or any other meat that needs used up, mussels or prawns if you want any mixture you want ( I usually fry any raw meat in a coating of bbq or hoisen sauce first to give added flavour to the meat)
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic gloves finely chopped
6 large chestnut mushrooms chopped
4 large leaves of Curly Kale shredded
finely chopped spring onions
3 portions of instant rice vermicelli noodles (cooked as per instructions on packet then added to soup towards the end of cooking the soup)
Fry all the vegetables apart from the kale and spring onions with some oil. Add stock and simmer gently until veg soft and cooked then add the meat and curly Kale for about 5-10 minutes until cooked then add the cooked noodles and spring onions until heated through(approx 2-3 mins). Then serve, this is a very tasty and filling soup and if you want you can play around with the ingredients as to what you have left over in the fridge and you can add more chilli if you like it hotter!